Top 5 Reasons Your West Chester, Liberty Township Home Didn’t Sell
Date: July 26, 2017
You’ve heard us say it time and time again: we’re in a red-hot real estate market! So it always comes as a bit of a red flag when we see West Chester or Liberty Township homes for sale that have been sitting on the market for more than 30 days. As the top real estate agency in West Chester and Liberty Township, we know that homes are flying off the market.
But yours isn’t. So, what gives?
There are endless reasons why a particular West Chester or Liberty Township house for sale might not sell, but in our experience, it usually boils down to one of five things:
1. The price is too high. At the end of the day, real estate is just another commodity. At the right price, people will buy and sell just about any type of West Chester and Liberty Township real estate. And sure enough, the #1 reason properties sit on the market is because they’ve been priced too high. It’s important to hire an agent that does extensive background research to understand the West Chester and Liberty Township housing market and nearby comps to make sure that your home for sale is listed at a competitive price from the outset.
2. Sloppy presentation on MLS. Most real estate listings are advertised to other agents and customers via an online system called MLS. Photos and other information provide prospective buyers with a snapshot of your property and usually inform whether they’ll want to go see your West Chester or
Liberty Township home for sale in person. If your MLS listing lacks photos (or if the photos are blurry and posted sideways!) and if you don’t list all of the home’s wonderful attributes, you won’t catch as much attention. An MLS listing is the single most important marketing tool to sell Butler County real estate—so take the listing seriously and present your property professionally, thoroughly and elegantly.
3. Curb appeal isn’t so appealing. Whatever you do, don’t overlook the home’s exterior because first impressions are everything! Many West Chester and Liberty Township homebuyers won’t even bother stepping foot inside if they’re turned off by what they see outside. If your house is sitting on the market, take a step back (literally) and consider your curb appeal. Low-cost investments like mowing the lawn, trimming the hedges, repaving the driveway and painting the front porch can add tremendous value and will set the stage for when buyers head inside.
4. Lack of home staging. Buyers want to be able to picture themselves living in your home, but it’s tough to do so if your home is cluttered or feels outdated. Start by packing up all of your personal belongings and putting away any pictures of friends and family. Keep rooms simple: add a coat of fresh paint and stage each room with modern furnishings to help them visualize life in what now feels like a clean and modern West Chester or Liberty Township home for sale.
5. Unwilling to negotiate. West Chester and Liberty Township homeowners who have received offers but still haven’t made it through to closing might be setting unrealistic expectations or refusing to cooperate. Maybe you aren’t willing to come down on price, for instance, but would be willing to offer the Butler County, OH homebuyer other concessions like putting money toward their closing costs or replacing outdated windows. Buying and selling real estate in West Chester and Liberty Township often comes down to the art of negotiation: find common ground to reach an amicable deal that still works for both you and the prospective buyer.
Don’t be afraid to call on friends and family to give you their honest, unadulterated opinions about how your West Chester or Liberty Township home for sale presents itself. Rather than taking the feedback personally, use it to make adjustments as needed so that you can sell your home once and for all.
If your home has been sitting idly on the market for more than 30 days, consider hiring a new West Chester or Liberty Township, OH real estate agent. Our team is among the most active real estate agencies in West Chester and Liberty Township so we’ve come to learn the nuances of the market. We’d be happy to have a no-obligation, exploratory conversation with you to see how we can help. Just give a shout!